The end of the French part of the journey

Having injured yet another ligament, I hopped on a train to Alès.   Here I spent 2 nights wandering around the town.  I stayed in an Ibis hotel and got regular bags of ice to put on my ankle.  The receptionist got so used to me appearing and asking for more ice he even asked me if I wanted ice to take with me!  No point though as it would have melted by the time I got to the station. 

I was in Alès on the weekend and so took myself of to the Temple (Church) for a protestant church service.   I have decided that French would be easier to learn if one sang hymns.  I found that it was slow enough to read and I had time to think about the pronunciation as I sang.  Didn't understand too much though!

Sunset from my bedroom window in Alès 
Books seemed to figure prominently in Alès,  this oversized one being in the centre of the roundabout....
.... and these, used as seats at the bus stop

From Alès I made my way to Nimes.  I managed to find a physio, with the help of the girls in the Tourist Office, and had a daily appointment with him until I left the city.  He was a rugby player, now stopped due to injuries, and many of his clients were too, obvious from their bull necks a tree stump legs!

Nimes is another Roman town.  It has an ancient arena, numerous churches, very narrow streets, and many legends.  There is an ancient temple building, built in the first century, by the son in law of Emporer Augustus, and on top of a hill, overlooking the town, is the remains of the fortifications that once surrounded the town from those times, the Magne Tower.

The Arena - used for gladiator training in Roman times, until it was outlawed, and then more recently as a bull ring.
The Roman, Maison Carriée, a Roman temple.  It called a square house because back in the day a building with four sides was called square - even if if it is a rectangle (below)!  

Tour Magne
The narrow streets of Nimes

More Roman remains, with St Baudilus's Church in the background.

Another day I caught the bus out to see another Roman landmark, the Pont du Gard, an ancient Roman aqueduct.  This was built to carry water over 50kms to the town of Nimes.
Pont-du-Gard
Don't be deceived!  The crowds were there in their hundreds!

The Patron Saint of Nimes is St Baudilus, who I had never heard of.  He arrived in the city and found some people in the midst of worshipping the roman god Velovis.  He toppled the statue, and in response the priests beheaded him.  The legend goes that his head bounced three times, and with each bounce a sping appeared!

The church dedicated to St Baudilus 
Part of  Jardins de la Fontaines

I have now left France,  and have been in the UK for just over a week.  I have had all sorts of issues, including finding accomodation and trying to get connected - often without success, which is why I have been off line for this time.  I will fill you in on the start of my UK journey next time.

Comments

  1. Sorry to hear about those ligaments, Janet.
    But you are having better weather than us camping back home. Zero degrees inside the little caravan for three mornings running at Ngarkat Conservation Park.
    Arlene and I lived at Bollene, a bit north of the Pont du Gard, for a while and I thought it (the Pont) was the most impressive of all the Roman artefacts. How did they do it?
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing town, so many fine old buildings. Good shots

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

From Herrstein to Kirn - 14.5kms, our way!

Back on the road, and all is well.