Fit & well, and about to get back on the way!

I was so fortunate that while in Saint-Étienne, I made an initial appointment with a young physiotherapist who was able to give me not just one appointment,  but four more!  He spoke English, and inferred that perhaps I should consider my age doing what I'm doing, but decided, from my reaction, that I would ignore such advice and so worked at getting these poor feet back into working order!  He talked about my foot being sensible, but I told him he meant sensitive,  and that he probably considered that I was not being sensible doing what I'm doing!

I don't think I have ever spent so long in Europe in the same town.  It was nice to wander further afield and explore the restaurants and cafes, though I had a favourite which happened to be just up the road from where I was staying.   The host even got to recognise me.  I treated myself to my last dinner there which turned out to be one of the best meals I have had - fish and chips, but not a normal serve, followed by the best créme brŭlée I have had all this trip.
A scene in St Etienne
Le Grand'Eglise.

I finally managed to be passing the Cathedral when it was open, which appears to be nit often.  It is the darkest such building I have been in, but was fascinated by the number of female Saints that were referenced - 11 in total.
Saint-Étienne railway station
The Cathedral 



Unfortunately, plans have changed yet again as Carol is unable to join me as planned.  It is disappointing as I was looking forward to having her company, and exporing this path with her.  Thus, instead of meeting her and catching the train together to le Puy-en-Velay I was on my own, as I re-visited the town.  We had planned to spend tomorrow exploring too, but as I got here early, and as I have no need for a rest day (I've had over three weeks of rest!), I am going to push off tomorrow. 

Le Puy has been very busy today, even though weather wise it has been awful - very hot, with the equivalent of a hot North wind blowing.   I resisted scanning the horizon for smoke, but I did have to be careful that my hat didn't take off, and had to hold the camera carefully because of the buffeting wind.


The last time I was here, in 2007, I realise there were quite a few things I missed.  Some things have changed too.  The Cathedral is the start of the Camino to Santiago,  and sits perched on top of a hill - so there is a hill to climb to get to it.  It houses one of the numerous black Madonna's found in France.
Just some of the steps leading up to the Cathedral
The black Madonna of Le Puy
Saint James, inside the Cathedral, is minus hand, and his staff.
And here he is on the wall outside the Cathedral doors.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was, even after the weeks of not walking, to climb the steps up to both the Cathedral and to the steps to the chapel of Saint-Michel d'Aiguilhe.  This chapel is perched on top of one of the volcanic plugs 85 metres high. The other plug has a statue of Notre Dame du Puy atop it, made from left over Canon balls from the Crimean War.  
The statue of Notre Dame du Puy, standing guard over the city, the Cathedral spire in the distance.
On the way to Saint-Michel d'Aiguilhe  
St. Clair's chapel (on right)

It is staggering to think that the chapel was built before cranes, fork lifts and all the other things that help with construction these days.  It was built in 969, and to reach it one must climb 268 steps!
 Saint-Michel d'Aiguilhe

Just some of the 268 steps

This post has been nearly finished, and I just haven't had time to complete it, or wifi to upload it.  The next post will be coming very soon.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Herrstein to Kirn - 14.5kms, our way!

Back on the road, and all is well.