Frankfurt - on the way, but yet to start.

After the arduous journey from Australia, I arrived in the city of Frankfurt soon after 8.30 am, half asleep, but unable to access my room until 2.00 pm.  I left my pack at the hotel, and went out exploring.  Edith was on the same flight, but we separated at the airport until tomorrow, as she went to spend some time with her brother. 

I have arrived in town just as the UFA EURO 2024 football clashes are about to begin - the first one tonight with kick off at round 9.30 I think.  In Singapore two blokes in kilts got on the plane, and then, as I have wandered about town, I saw more and more "blokes in kilts".  I had bailed up a couple of police officers asking if Scotland was playing over the weekend, but they actually had no idea.  I next bailed up a quartet of kilted gents and they were much more forthcoming.  Scotland is playing Germany tonight, but the game is in Munchen.  All these football fans are in town to watch the match on the numerous big screens spread along the river bank, and they said there were quite a number coming from Australia.  I have had an early tea, and will stay in, rather than get embroiled with the fans.  I am not far away, and no doubt I will hear it, and the walking home too I suspect. Since beginning this post, time has marched on to 7.00 pm, and though the match is still hours off starting, I can definitely hear them!



This is where the crowds will be tonight.
A few minutes walk from my hotel - so no doubt I will hear the cheering 

Frankfurt was devastated, in March 1944, by two catastrophic bombing raids carried out by the allies.  The Cathedral,  Kaiserdom Sankt Bartholomäus, was the only church that survived these bombing raids.  It is a very large, very red building, with an organ on one side that could be mistaken for an art installation.  


The Cathedral - Kaiserdom Sankt Bartholomäus


I thought the pews were different, and I loved the hooks on the back, to hang your bag, or even a hat presumably.


The organ.

The buildings here are a strange mixture, the ones looking very old, I am presuming are actually, in most cases, new, but made to look old.  I read that, of 2,000 half timbered houses that existed in the city, only 1 survived the catastrophic fires that were a result of the bombing raids.

Not many words or pictures from me today, my head is starting to go fuzzy from tiredness.  Did manage to have my favourite German meal at lunchtime, rinder roulade, which I used to make (well the meat part at any rate) - beef olives, potato dumplings and red cabbage.   Delicious!


The view from my lunch spot.







Comments

  1. A speedy recovery to you and now the fun really begins. 👍😁

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Idar-Oberstein